Michel Fortin is a marketing advisor, fractional CMO, and senior SEO consultant helping professionals and firms grow their visibility and their businesses. He’s an author, speaker, and consultant with 30 years of experience in digital marketing and marketing communications.
Since 1992, Michel was instrumental in generating over a billion dollars in sales for his clients. His pioneering work was responsible for setting many records, such as the first-ever $1 million in online sales in under 24 hours.
Today, he’s the Director of Search at seoplus+, a successful, award-winning digital marketing agency in Ottawa. He leads a talented team of demand generation specialists in organic search (SEO), paid search (SEM), and content marketing. They work with clients from around the world, ranging from SMEs to multinational enterprises.
Hi, my name is Michel.
One of my favourite memories as a young child was spending most of my free time browsing bulletin board services (BBSes). I also learned how to code and played role-playing games using a text-only browser on an agonizingly slow 300-baud dial-up modem.
That was the beginning of my love affair with Internet marketing.
In 1991, I worked as a marketing consultant with a hair transplant clinic. I created their marketing materials, produced late-night TV infomercials, and developed their first website in 1992. With my help, we eventually opened up several new locations.
Eventually, other doctors hired me — stretching from Montreal to Vancouver to New York to Florida. Seeing a trend, I decided to brand myself as “The Success Doctor,” which became my first consultancy in 1995 and subsequently launched my own website.
By 1997, I became the editor of one of the first Internet marketing training companies in the world serving 120,000 subscribers. This exposure was the springboard that launched my career. I was often invited to speak at conferences, and subsequently wrote books and training programs, one of which grew to 76,000 active subscribers.
Since then, I’ve pioneered many game-changing digital marketing strategies and set several industry sales records, including the first-ever million-dollar day in online sales in 2004.
Over the course of my career, I’ve worked with professionals from around the world, including several marketing agencies. One of them is seoplus+ where I’m now the Director of Search leading an amazing team of SEO, PPC (paid ads), and content specialists.
Today, I specialize in SEO advisory and training for professional service providers and their practices. While I’ve worked with all kinds of medical, legal, financial, and technical professionals, the vast majority of my experience is comprised of plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, cosmetic dentists, and medical aestheticians.
Here are just a few examples of work I’ve done:
- An award-winning dermatologist received a 700% increase in targeted traffic within weeks following a complete site migration.
- A world-renowned cosmetic expert received a 1,600% increase in traffic and $342,000 in sales after relaunching their website.
- A medical weightloss company recouped an estimated $420,000 after revamping its site’s architecture and user experience.
- A hair transplant clinic grew by 480% in the first year, and within two years expanded with 12 new clinics internationally.
Here’s a partial list of my certifications:
- Business Administration, Marketing (College)
- CPD-Accredited Mini MBA (Online)
- Business Ethics (Diploma)
- Google Search (Certification)
- Google Analytics (Certification)
- Google Tag Manager (Certification)
- SEO For Ecommerce (Certification)
- Advanced SEO Strategies (Certification)
- Advanced Google Analytics (Certification)
- Marketing Analytics (Certification)
- Data-Driven Storytelling (Certification)
- Secret Security Clearance Level II (Government)
- I love this industry and the work I do. Ever since my first client in 1992, I genuinely get excited with every professional I work with. I love helping my clients gain more exposure, drive more traffic, and attract more clients to their businesses.
- I specialize in professionals and practitioners. Unlike other marketing consultants who dabble in everything, my advisory work focuses on Marketing Visibility for professionals and their practices, including search engine optimization, positioning, demand generation, content marketing, and digital PR.
- I have a rare skill set clients find valuable. As a “dual-brained” marketing professional, I’m both artistic and analytical. I love to create, ideate, and strategize new campaigns, while the geek in me loves to code, audit, and research. My consulting work is perfect for that reason. It’s just as idea-driven as it is data-driven.
- I’m aware of the limitations professionals face. I work with doctors, lawyers, accountants, consultants, and coaches. And most professional service industries are highly competitive, tough, and highly regulated. So I have a strong understanding of the many marketing compliance challenges they must deal with.
- I draw from 30 years of experience. I was marketing on the Internet before the Internet was a thing. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of working with countless clients in helping them grow their practices. As the Internet grew, I grew along with them.
In essence, you get more than a mere SEO or marketing consultant. You get a passionate marketing advisor who intimately understands you and will help you get a stronger, more visible online presence as a visible authority in your field. Let’s grow in an effective and ethical way. Book a free fit-finding call and let’s chat.
I’m open to considering more opportunities for:
- Consulting work and ongoing advisory engagements.
- Coaching calls to give you guidance or a quick win.
- Public speaking at conferences or industry events.
- Being a guest on your podcast, show, or livestream.
- Being a guest lecturer at your school or college.
If you’re interested in reaching out for any of these opportunities, use this online form. Unfortunately, there are certain things I will refuse and ask that you refrain from contacting me for, including:
- Free advice or pro bono work.*
- Speculative or contingency work of any kind.
- Writing for your publication or blog.
- Partnership or joint-venture opportunities.
- Full-time assistance with anything.
*I might accept some limited commitments working with certain organizations or for causes in areas that are deeply meaningful to me, such as cancer research, mental health, women’s issues, LGBTQ+ issues, BIPOC issues, and education.
- I live near Ottawa (Canada) with my wife Barbara and a few furry friends. I work both from home and at my office at seoplus+ in the heart of Ottawa’s Little Italy. I lead a talented team of around 20 digital marketing and demand generation specialists.
- I write The More Traffic Memo™ when I have a chance. I sometimes write and post articles to my blog on this website, or contribute to my agency’s blog. I’m also in the process of writing my third book, tentatively titled The Visibility Matrix.
- I’m an avid reader and podcast subscriber. Other than reading blogs daily, I’m currently reading several audiobooks on SEO, marketing, leadership, and business. I’m also frequently invited to appear on podcasts and shows as a guest expert.
- Formally diagnosed at the age of 52, I’ve struggled and benefited from ADHD all my life. Having ADHD Combined Type (i.e., both mental and physical hyperactivity) is both a blessing and a curse. I’ve fully embraced my ADHD, which I explain here.
- I’m perfectly bilingual (French and English). I’m originally from Quebec and several of my clients are French-Canadian, too. My name is pronounced “Mee-shell” but you can call me Michael.
- As a semi-professional drummer, I play gigs on occasion with several local bands. I currently play classic rock, pop, pop punk, and country music. Sometimes, I work as a session drummer for recording artists and I’ve contributed to several albums.
- I’m a dietary and ethical vegan. I was a flexitarian for many years. But after losing my entire family (i.e., my wife, mother, father, and only sister) to illnesses such as cancer and diabetes, I’ve decided to make the leap and never looked back.
- For some of my philosophical views, I’m a progressive, a science lover, a secular humanist, a feminist, and an ally to LGBTQ+ and BIPOC. I believe that love is love, Indigenous rights are human rights, disabilities are superpowers, mental health is health, a trans woman is a woman, and Black Lives Matter.
- If you want to know a little more about me and my background, here are 10 facts about Michel Fortin. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and TikTok.
I’m a history buff, and an armchair linguist and philologist. I love learning about the etymology and history of words, and I’m deeply fascinated by linguistic anthropology, i.e., how language shaped civilizations, cultures, mores, customs, and social constructs. In these areas, I enjoy the work of Dr. John McWhorther and follow Luke Ranieri, who also teaches classical Latin and ancient Greek.