Michel Fortin is a visibility expert, SEO consultant, and marketing advisor. He helps entrepreneurial professionals and expert firms grow their visibility and their practices. He’s an author, speaker, and consultant with 30 years of experience in digital marketing.
Since 1992, Michel was instrumental in generating over half a billion dollars in sales for his clients. His pioneering work was responsible for setting many records, such as generating the first-ever $1 million in online sales in under 24 hours.
Today, he’s the Director of Search Marketing at seoplus+, an award-winning digital marketing agency based in Canada. He leads a talented cross-functional team in SEO, paid ads, and content marketing. They work with clients from around the world, ranging from SMEs to multinational enterprises.
Hi, my name is Michel.
One of my favourite memories as a young child was spending most of my free time browsing bulletin board services (BBSes). I also learned how to code and played role-playing games using a text-only browser on an agonizingly slow 300-baud dial-up modem.
That was the beginning of my love affair with Internet marketing.
In 1991, I worked as a marketing consultant with a hair transplant clinic. I created their marketing materials, produced late-night TV infomercials, and developed their first website in 1992. With my help, we eventually opened up several new locations.
Eventually, other doctors hired me — stretching from Montreal to Vancouver to New York to Florida. Seeing a trend, I decided to brand myself as “The Success Doctor,” which became my first consultancy in 1995 and subsequently launched my own website.
By 1997, I became the editor of one of the first Internet marketing training companies in the world serving 120,000 subscribers. This exposure was the springboard that launched my career. I was often invited to speak at conferences, and subsequently wrote books and training programs, one of which grew to 76,000 active subscribers.
Since then, I’ve pioneered many game-changing digital marketing strategies and set several industry sales records, including the first-ever million-dollar day in online sales in 2004.
Over the course of my career, I’ve worked with professionals from around the world, including several marketing agencies. One of them is seoplus+ where I’m now the Director of Search leading an amazing team of SEO, PPC (paid ads), and content specialists.
Today, I specialize in SEO advisory and training for professional service providers and their practices. While I’ve worked with all kinds of medical, legal, financial, and technical professionals, the vast majority of my experience is comprised of plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, cosmetic dentists, and medical aestheticians.
Here are just a few examples of work I’ve done:
- An award-winning dermatologist received a 700% increase in targeted traffic within weeks following a complete site migration.
- A world-renowned cosmetic expert received a 1,600% increase in traffic and $342,000 in sales after relaunching their website.
- A medical weightloss company recouped an estimated $420,000 after revamping its site’s architecture and user experience.
- A hair transplant clinic grew by 480% in the first year, and within two years expanded with 12 new clinics internationally.
Here’s a partial list of my certifications:
- Business Administration, Marketing (College)
- CPD-Accredited Mini MBA (Online)
- Business Ethics (Diploma)
- Google Search (Certification)
- Google Analytics (Certification)
- Google Tag Manager (Certification)
- SEO For Ecommerce (Certification)
- Advanced SEO Strategies (Certification)
- Advanced Google Analytics (Certification)
- Marketing Analytics (Certification)
- Data-Driven Storytelling (Certification)
- Secret Security Clearance Level II (Government)
You get a stronger, more visible online presence from a passionate, well-rounded SEO who intimately understands your practice, your industry, and your goals. Here’s why:
- I love this industry and the work I do. Ever since my first client in 1992, I genuinely get excited with every project I work with. I love helping my clients increase their exposure, drive more traffic, and attract more clients and patients.
- I specialize in professional SEO. Unlike other marketing consultants who only dabble in SEO (and in everything else, too), my advisory work focuses entirely on search engine optimization for professionals and expert firms.
- I have a rare skill set clients find valuable. As a “dual-brained” marketing professional, I’m both artistic and analytical. I love to create, ideate, and strategize new campaigns, while the geek in me loves to code, audit, and research. SEO consulting is perfect for that reason. It’s just as idea-driven as it is data-driven.
- I’m aware of the limitations my clients face. Most professional service industries are highly competitive, tough, and regulated. I have a strong understanding of the many marketing compliance challenges they must deal with.
- I draw from 30 years of experience. I was marketing on the Internet before the Internet was a thing. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of working with countless clients in helping them grow their practices. As the Internet grew, I grew along with them.
In essence, you get more than an SEO consultant. You get a senior SEO expert who gets you, understands your business and your field, and will help you and your practice grow in an effective and ethical way. Schedule a free fit-finding call and let’s see if I can help.
I’m open to considering more opportunities for:
- SEO consulting and ongoing advisory engagements.
- Coaching calls one-on-one to give you a quick win.
- Public speaking at conferences or corporate events.
- Being a guest on your podcast, show, or livestream.
- Being a guest lecturer at your school, college, or university.
If you’re interested in reaching out for any of these opportunities, use this online form. Unfortunately, there are certain things I will refuse and ask that you refrain from contacting me for, including:
- Free advice or pro bono work.*
- Speculative or contingency work of any kind.
- Writing for your publication or blog.
- Partnership or joint-venture opportunities.
- Full-time assistance with anything.
*I might accept some limited commitments working with certain organizations or for causes in areas that are deeply meaningful to me, such as cancer research, mental health, women’s issues, LGBTQ+ issues, BIPOC issues, and education.
- I live near Ottawa (Ontario) with my wife Barbara and a few furry friends. I work mostly from home but occasionally work at my office at seoplus+ in the heart of Ottawa’s Little Italy.
- I write The More Traffic Memo™ when I have a chance. I sometimes write and post articles to my blog on this website, or contribute to my agency’s blog. I’m also in the process of writing my third book, tentatively titled “The Visibility Matrix.”
- I’m an avid reader and podcast subscriber. Other than reading blogs daily, I’m currently reading several audiobooks on SEO, marketing, leadership, and business. I’m also frequently invited to appear on podcasts and shows as a guest expert, such as The Voices of Search, The SEO Rant, SEMrush, and many more.
- I’ve had ADHD all my life, but I was only formally diagnosed recently, at the age of 52, with ADHD Combined Type (i.e., both Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity). I explain my journey here.
- I’m perfectly bilingual (French and English). I’m originally from Quebec and several of my clients are French-Canadian, too. My name is pronounced “Mee-shell” but you can call me Michael.
- As a semi-professional drummer, I play gigs on occasion with several local bands. I currently play classic rock, pop, pop punk, and country music. Sometimes, I work as a session drummer for recording artists and I’ve contributed to several albums.
- I’m a dietary and ethical vegan. I was a flexitarian for many years. But after losing my entire family (i.e., my wife, mother, father, and only sister) to illnesses such as cancer and diabetes, I’ve decided to make the leap and never looked back.
- For some of my philosophical views, I’m a progressive, a science lover, a secular humanist, a feminist, and an ally to LGBTQ+ and BIPOC. I believe that love is love, Indigenous rights are human rights, disabilities are superpowers, mental health is health, a trans woman is a woman, and Black Lives Matter.
- If you want to know a little more about me and my background, here are 10 facts about Michel Fortin. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and TikTok.
I’m a history buff, and an armchair linguist and philologist. I love learning about the etymology and history of words, and I’m deeply fascinated by linguistic anthropology, i.e., how language shaped civilizations, cultures, mores, customs, and social constructs. In these areas, I enjoy the work of Dr. John McWhorther and follow Luke Ranieri, who also teaches classical Latin and ancient Greek.