Today, Sylvie and I stumbled onto another bad Internet marketing sin perpetrated by an online marketer. This person is not as well-known, but judging from their style they're definitely a student of some of the top “gurus.”
When we shared this with our platinum coaching group, a member sent this amazing “10-point ethics checklist,” which he and his employees use in his company as guidelines in defining if a marketing or business strategy is worth doing.
That list is nothing short of brilliant.
With his gracious permission, Darrin Clement allowed me to reprint it here for you. I urge you to read it. Go through it when you're thinking about implementing a new marketing or sales tactic, or when you're about to buy into one. It's that powerful. Here's the list…
- The Golden Rule: Would I want people to do this to me?
- The Fairness Test: Who might be affected and how? Is this fair to everyone?
- The ‘What if everybody did this?' Test: Would I want everyone to do this? Would I want to live in that kind of world?
- The Truth Test: Does this action represent the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
- The Parents Test: How would my parents feel if they found out about this? What advice would they give me?
- The Children Test: Would I be willing to explain everything about this to my kids and expect them to act in the same way?
- The Religion Test: Does this go against my religion?
- The Conscience Test: Does this go against my conscience? Will I feel guilty?
- The Consequences Test: Are there possible consequences of this action that would be bad? Would I regret doing this?
- The Front Page Test: How would I feel if my action were reported on the front page of my hometown paper?
Michel Fortin is a certified digital marketing expert and renowned copywriter who specializes in a unique combination of SEO, CRO, and UX to improve traffic, leads, and revenue for his clients. For the better part of 30 years, he's produced countless wins, generating in excess of $300 million in sales and results that have broken many industry records. He has worked with thousands of businesses ranging from individual entrepreneurs to enterprise-level multinational companies. He's the author of two top-selling books and often speaks at industry events. To connect with him, visit his LinkedIn profile where he is most active.