Today, Sylvie and I stumbled onto another bad Internet marketing sin perpetrated by an online marketer. This person is not as well-known, but judging from their style they're definitely a student of some of the top “gurus.”
When we shared this with our platinum coaching group, a member sent this amazing “10-point ethics checklist,” which he and his employees use in his company as guidelines in defining if a marketing or business strategy is worth doing.
That list is nothing short of brilliant.
With his gracious permission, Darrin Clement allowed me to reprint it here for you. I urge you to read it. Go through it when you're thinking about implementing a new marketing or sales tactic, or when you're about to buy into one. It's that powerful. Here's the list…
- The Golden Rule: Would I want people to do this to me?
- The Fairness Test: Who might be affected and how? Is this fair to everyone?
- The ‘What if everybody did this?' Test: Would I want everyone to do this? Would I want to live in that kind of world?
- The Truth Test: Does this action represent the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
- The Parents Test: How would my parents feel if they found out about this? What advice would they give me?
- The Children Test: Would I be willing to explain everything about this to my kids and expect them to act in the same way?
- The Religion Test: Does this go against my religion?
- The Conscience Test: Does this go against my conscience? Will I feel guilty?
- The Consequences Test: Are there possible consequences of this action that would be bad? Would I regret doing this?
- The Front Page Test: How would I feel if my action were reported on the front page of my hometown paper?
Michel Fortin is a senior marketing specialist, renowned copywriter, and digital marketing expert. For the better part of 30 years, he's produced countless successful marketing communications and profitable campaigns that generated in excess of $300 million in sales. He's broken many industry sales records, including being instrumental behind the first ever “million-dollar day” online marketing campaign in 2004. He's worked with thousands of businesses and entrepreneurs around the world in a wide variety of industries on building their businesses, improving their marketing, and increasing their profits. He's a published author and often speaks at industry events. To connect with him, visit his LinkedIn profile where he is most active.